Shortbread is traditionally formed into one of three shapes: one large circle, which is divided into segments as soon as it is taken out of the oven; individual round biscuits; or a thick oblong slab cut into "fingers."
Using a decorative shortbread pan produces shortbread that is delicious, flaky, delicate, and sophisticated. The ceramic shortbread pan makes heart-shaped pieces of shortbread, each featuring a flower or small berry.
- 1-1/2 cups flour
- 1 stick butter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- Let butter soften to room temperature.
- Cut butter pieces into the flour with a fork in a large bowl. The result should be like fine breadcrumbs.
- Mix in the sugar.
- Grease the bottom and sides of an 8x8-inch round or square baking pan (or decorative shortbread pan) with butter and sprinkle with flour.
- Press the mixture compactly into the bottom of the baking pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Cut with a sharp knife into desired shapes while it is still warm and sprinkle the top with additional sugar.
- Let it cool in the pan so it will not fall apart.